Interesting Bicycle Facts
Here are some interesting bicycle facts that you might not know
1. The term ‘bicycle’ first became popular in the 1860s, in France
2. The first mountain bike was developed in 1977.
3. The longest tandem was 67 feet and was for 35 riders.
4. Half of all the parts of a regular bicycle are in the chain.
5. The fastest speed reached on a bicycle is 167 mph by Fred Rompelberg at the age of 50.
6. 10% of New York workers use bicycles as transportation.
7. There are over half billion bikes in China.
8. BMX racing became a sport in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing China.
9. Air –filled tires were used on bikes before motorcars.
10. In the US there are more cyclist than golfers, skiers and tennis players combined.
11. It cost approximately $ 11, 000 a year to maintain a car, including gas; it cost $120 a year to maintain a bicycle.
12. About 12 bicycles can be parked in the space of one motorcar.
13. Only 1% of Americans commute by bicycle. Japan, 15%.
14. With the same energy and resources that takes to build a medium-sized car, a hundred bicycles can be produced.
15. In China, there is 1 car every 250 bicycles.
16. Fred A. Birchmore circled the globe by bicycle in 1935.
17. The percentage of kids who ride bicycle to school has dropped from 50% to 15%. Child obesity has tripled.
18. On a bicycle you can travel four times faster than you can walk using the same energy.
19. In major cities, 40 % of car trips are less than 3 miles, a 7 minute bicycle ride.
So what do you think? Interesting, right?
Return from Bicycle Facts to Home Page